12/21/12

Making Soap and 100th Post Giveway

Two weeks ago I made 3 batches of soap. 
Lime-Green Tea, Patchouli, and Orange-Clove.


I'd like to share with you how to make it. It is very easy and cost much less than 
buying hand crafted soap from stores.

You'll need:
Palm Oil
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
Spring Water
Milk
Essential Oil
Extra Oil (such as Shea Butter, Avocado oil, Etc.)
You will also need some kitchen supplies which I will tell you about as we go through the recipe.


With a scales that accurately measures grams and ounces, measure out 397g Palm Oil. It is in solid form so you will have to melt it down (which will be the same amount so no need to remeasure.) I use an ice cream scoop to dip it out with.
Dump melted oil into your Kitchen Aid mixing bowl


Measure, melt, and dump 454g Coconut Oil.


Measure and dump 595g Olive Oil. Mix the 3 oils together (with whisk attachment) to combine.


Next step:
Sodium Hydroxide is the official name for lye. While everything in this recipe is safe for consumption lye IS NOT. 
(Disclaimer: depending on where you buy your oils, especially essential and extra, they are safe for human consumption. Some brands add things to make the oils go further, thus not being pure. These additives are not safe for human consumption making the "essential oil" not safe.)


Measure out 201g lye and put in a metal bowl. This is important because next we will be adding water. When you add water to lye it will immediately heat to 180*F and fume. This can eat away at plastic or break glass.


Measure 10oz spring water.


Mix water into lye with a metal whisk until dissolved. Again, we don't want to use a rubber spatula or plastic silverware.
Use a glove on the hand your mixing with and cover your mouth with your other hand. If you breath it in too much it will cause major coughing! Also make sure children are in a different room. This will only last a minute or two.


The impurities from the water will rise. You can see here that even spring water isn't perfectly pure. It would be a nightmare if I use my well water. This is why SPRING water is important.


Once the temperature has lowered to at least 100*F measure 9oz milk and slowly add to water/ lye mixture. We want to make sure it has cooled so our milk doesn't curdle. Continue mixing until well incorporated.


It will slowly turn yellow.


Next step:
We want to make sure the lye mixture is well yellowed and the oil mixture is no more than 100*F.
Once all is ready we will combine the two mixtures. Slowly pour the lye mixture into the oil mixture while the mixer is running.


Whisk on medium speed for 10-15 minutes until the mixture can trace. When you lift a spatula it will leave a trace,  ribbon, or visible drizzle on top. The mixture will be creamy and have started to get thicker.
Once fully mixed, add 7t essential oil(s) and 1T extra oil of your choice. They all have different benefits and uses. You can read about most of the different ones at Camden Grey, where I order all my oils.
(I use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and make sure everything is very well combined. As the essential oils can penetrate plastic, I have one for soap making and don't use it for anything else. I keep it with my essential oils.)
At this point you can also use coloring and exfoliants. I like to use things I already have in the kitchen. Celery seed is my favorite exfoliant, for example. And cinnamon, nutmeg, or beet juice make wonderful colorings.


Now it is time to pour it into molds. My Husband made me these out of PVC board. Since each recipe makes 18 bars, it is 18" long inside so once my soap "log" is ready to cut, I just cut every inch for even bars of soap. I line the molds with wax paper for easy removal, as these molds don't come apart as some do.


Pour the soap into the mold.


Cover mold with cardboard (so it is pretty well sealed, but the cardboard absorbs some of the moister from the condensation of the heat and extra water doesn't get into/ onto the soap.) Add a big bath towel on top for insulation.


After 24/48 hours the soap will be ready to cut into bars. If you are using individual molds, this is where you would take them out.


I cut along the short edge with a knife,grab the wax paper, and pull the soap right out. 


Then I mark every 1" and cut with a metal pastry scraper.


Lay the bars on cardboard for 4 weeks to fully cure (lye evens out and bars gets harder).
I put mine in a cold, dark cellar, but a friend of mine puts it under the dresser in her bedroom. So to my knowledge, it doesn't matter what temperature (as long as it isn't hot enough to melt it again) or darkness.
Then use away!
This is the only recipe I've use but I'm wanting to soon try more.


Now about the giveaway:
In celebration of this 100th post, I would like to give a 2 bars of soap away to 2 of my followers. 
(United States only, please)
Winners can choose from any of the following options:
1} Lime- Green Tea
                                                                  2} Orange- Clove
                                                                  3} Patchouli
I just made these 3 flavors and they will be fully cured December 31st. That is the day this giveaway will end and I will announce the winner New Year's Day.

To Enter:
(Must be or become a follower)
Just leave a comment on this post with the soaps of your choice and you will be entered.
If you would like to blog about my giveaway, one more entry. Just leave a link to your blog post on a separate comment.

Be writing soon!
xoxo~
Lauren

12 comments:

  1. Wow - that looks like a lo of work but it looks like you got quie a bit of soap too. I would choose the clove and Patchouli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool!!Lime-green tea & orange-clove. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hhmmm.... i think i would choose lime-green tea ;) btw, i'll be stopping in soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 and 3- I would live to make my own someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to try lime-green tea and patchouli. I have made soap, but never those scents. My recipe doesn't have milk either...so it would be fun to try this recipe.! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green tea and clove sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lime/green tea! :) I love home made soap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Can't wait to win a couple ;) I love any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pick! they all sound lovely... I'd love to win. Someday I would like to make soap.. maybe I can try your recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I am new to soap making and found your blog on pinterest. This is a GREAT explanation of soap making for beginners. You said your mold is 18 inches long, but how wide is it? Also, you use 7 teaspoons of essential oils per batch? That seemed like a lot to me at first, but I have also never made such a large yield of soap at once. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day better... leave a comment!